DU Math Club
Nicholas S. Ormes
Department of Mathematics
University of Denver
Aspen Hall 715B
Denver, CO 80208
Phone: (303) 871-3325
Pingree Park 2017
- Academic Positions
- Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver (Sept. 2008 - present).
- Chair, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver (April 2011 - Nov. 2012).
- Interim Chair, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver (April 2008 - June 2008).
- Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics, University of Denver (Sept. 2000 - Aug. 2008).
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Mathematics, University of Connecticut (Aug. 2000 - Aug. 2002).
- Instructor, Department of Mathematics, University of Texas, Austin (Sept. 1997 - Aug. 2000).
- Ph.D., University of Maryland at College Park, Advisor: Prof. M. Michael Boyle (May 1997).
- B.S., University of Delaware, Cum Laude, Mathematics major, Physics minor (June 1991)
- Research Interests
- Primary: Topological dynamics, ergodic theory, symbolic dynamics.
- Secondary: Matrix theory, topology (of tilings and continua).
- Research Papers
- With F. Durand and S. Petite , Self-induced systems (submitted)
- with L. Alvin, Minimal Cantor omega-limit sets (submitted).
- with T. French and R. Pavlov, Subshifts with slowly growing numbers of follower sets
(to appear Conference Proceedings, AMS Contemporary Math Series).
- with R. Pavlov, Extender sets and multidimensional subshifts,
Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems 36 (2016), issue 03, pp. 908-923.
- with D. Carney and
Partially flipped Linear Algebra: A team based approach, PRIMUS 25 (2015), Issue 8, pages 641-654
- with N. McNew, Efficient realization of nonzero spectra by polynomial matrices, Involve. A Journal of Mathematics, 8 (2015), 1-24.
- wtih S. B. Frick, Dimension groups for polynomial odometers, Acta Applicandae Mathematicae
126 no. 1, (2013) 165–186.
- with F. Latrémolière,
C*-algebraic characterization of bounded orbit injection equivalence for minimal free Cantor systems,
Rocky Mountain Journal of Mathematics 42 (2012), no. 1, 157--200.
- with R. N. Ball and
J. Hagler, Quotients of Bing spaces,
Topology Appl. 155 (2008), no. 16, 1852--1866.
- with W. Kosek and D. Rudolph, Flow-Orbit Equivalence for Minimal Cantor Systems,
Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 28 (2008), no. 2, 481--500.
- with P. Vojtěchovský, Powers and alternative laws,
Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae 48 (2007), no. 1, 25--40.
- with S. Lightwood, Bounded orbit injections and suspension equivalence for minimal
Z2-actions, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems
26 (2007) 1--30.
- with I. Kornfeld, Topological realizations of families of ergodic automorphisms,
multitowers and orbit equivalence, Israel Journal of Mathematics 155 (2006),
- with M. Neumann, Bounds for graph expansions via elasticity, Electronic
Journal of Linear Algebra 10 (2003) 163--178.
- with S. Kirkland, M. Neumann and J. Xu, On the elasticity of the Perron root of a nonnegative matrix,
SIAM J. on Matrix Analysis and Applications 24 (2002), no. 2, 454--464.
- with C. Radin and
L. Sadun, Topological invariants for substitution tiling spaces,
Geometriae Dedicata 90 (2002), no. 1, 153--182.
- with K. H. Kim and F. Roush, The spectra of nonnegative integer matrices via formal power series,
J. Amer. Math. Soc. 13 (2000), 773--806.
- Real coboundaries for minimal homeomorphisms Pacific Journal Mathematics
195 (2000), no. 2, 453--476.
- Strong orbit realization for minimal homeomorphisms
Journal d'Analyse Mathematique 71 (1997), 103--133.
- Miscellaneous Research Activities
- Conferences (Co-)Organized
- Pingree Park Dynamics Workshop (Summer 2009, 2010, 2011, 2014)
- Great Plains Operator Theory Symposium (Summer 2010, expected)
- Mile High Conference on Quasigroups, Loops, and Nonassociative Systems, University of Denver (July 2005)
- Special Session, Symbolic Dynamics, AMS Central Sectional Meeting, Univ. Notre Dame (Apr. 2000)
- Referee for various mathematics research journals, grant proposals and textbooks.
- Teaching Experience
- Courses: Ergodic Theory, Chaos Dynamics & Fractals, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis,
Operations Research, Symbolic Dynamics, Topology, Probability, Discrete Mathematics, Number Theory,
Transition to Advanced Mathematics, Linear Algebra, Calculus, Symmetry,
Groups & Cryptography Seminar, Chaos Theory Seminar, Math for Elementary
Education Majors, Pre-calculus, College Algebra, Foundation courses.
- Graduate Research Supervised
- Drew Ash (current PhD student).
- Brett Werner, Strong orbit equivalence and residuality. Thesis (Ph.D.)–University of Denver. 2010.
- Undergraduate Research Supervised
- Senior Theses
- Ken Macneal, Chaos in full families of S-unimodal maps on [0,∞). (2013)
- Yoa Lei, A Mathematical Perspective on Casino Games. (2013)
- Nathan McNew, Efficient realization of nonzero spectra by polynomial matrices.
- PinS project: Nathan McNew Ordered
Direct Limits of GL(2,Z) (summer 2007).
- University of Connecticut Undergraduate research project: E. Slater, E. Dutko, The topology of Triomino vs. Sphinx tilings.
- University of Texas Undergraduate research project: G.
Saenz, C. Jackson, R. Crumley, The asymmetric
propeller revisited, College Mathematics Journal, 31 (2000), no. 5, 347--349.
- Participant, Center for Teaching and Learning Workshop on Cooperative Learning (summer 2007)
- Mathematics Department Teaching Award, University of Texas (Fall 1999) Awarded annually to one faculty member in the department
- PI, Pingree Park Dynamics Workshop, NSF ($25K), summer 2014
- PI, Pingree Park Dynamics Workshop, NSF ($20K), summer 2011
- PI, Pingree Park Dynamics Workshop, NSF ($24K), summer 2010
- co-PI, Pingree Park Dynamics Workshop, funded by NSF ($14K), summer 2009.
- co-PI, Collaborative Research: GPOTS Special Meetings 2009/2010, funded by NSF ($47K).
- with A. Reiber, S. Butz, B. Werner, NSM Hybrid Course Initiative, MATH 1200 Hybrid, Office of Teaching and Learning ($20K), 2012
- With N. Galatos, D. Carney, Teaching Excellence in Departments Grant OTL ($15K) 2012
- with A. Arias, PROF Research Grant ($14K), summer 2007.
- Center for Teaching and Learning Grant ($8K), summer 2006.
- with P. Vojtěchovský, PROF Research Grant ($10K), summer 2004.
- Invited Talks
- Carolina Dynamics Symposium, Agnes Scott College. (April 2015)
- BYU Dynamical Systems Seminar, Brigham Young University. (March 2015)
- Poster, 2014 Teaching and Learning Conference, University of Denver. (April 2014)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory and Symbolic Dynamics, Joint meeting of the AMS and MAA, Baltimore, MD. (January 2014)
- Special Session, Topological Dynamics and Ergodic Theory, AMS Eastern Sectional Meeting, Louisville, KY. (October 2013)
- Special Session, Tilings, Substitutions, and Bratteli-Vershik Transformations, AMS Sectional Meeting, George Washington University. (March 2012)
- Special Session on Dynamical Systems and Operator Algebras, AMS Sectional Meeting, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. (Oct 2011)
- Hamilton College Undergraduate Seminar, New York. (Dec 2010)
- All-Campus Discoveries Lecture, Univ. of Denver (Sept. 2010)
- Mixed Taste Lecture, Musem of Contemporary Art, Denver. (July 2009)
- Dynamics Seminar, University of Amiens, France. (June 2009)
- Analysis Seminar Series, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. (May 2009)
- Dynamics Lab, Colorado State University. (April 2008)
- Analysis Seminar Series, Norwegian University of Science and Technology. (May 2009)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory and Symbolic Dynamics, AMS meeting, Chicago, IL. (Oct. 2007)
- Ordre Apériodique: nouveaux liens et anciens problèmes revisités, CIRM workshop, Luminy, France. (Sept. 2007)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory and Topological Dynamics, Joint Meeting of the American Mathematical Society and Polish Mathematical Society, University of Warsaw, Poland. (Aug. 2007)
- Ergodic Theory and Probability Seminar, Ohio State University. (Apr. 2007)
- Fearless Friday Seminar, Colorado College. (Mar. 2007)
- Mile High Conference on Quasigroups, Loops, and Nonassociative Systems, University of Denver. (July 2005)
- Special Session, Topology of Continua, AMS Meeting, Lubbock, TX. (Apr. 2005)
- Colorado College Mathematics Seminar. (Feb. 2005)
- North Dakota State University Mathematics Colloquium. (Apr. 2004)
- Dynamical Systems and Related Topics Workshop, Univ. Maryland. (Mar. 2004)
- Special Session, Topological Dynamics and Ergodic Theory, Summer Conference on Topology and its Applications, Washington, DC (July 2003)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems, AMS Meeting, Bloomington, IN. (Apr. 2003)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems, AMS Meeting, Boston, MA. (Oct. 2002)
- Special Session, Symbolic Dynamics, AMS National Meeting, San Diego, CA. (Jan. 2002)
- Dynamical Systems and Related Topics Workshop, Univ. Maryland. (Mar. 2001)
- Dynamics Seminar, Tufts Univ. (Mar. 2001)
- Dynamics Seminar, Tufts Univ. (Nov. 2000)
- Dynamical Systems Seminar, Boston Univ. (Nov. 2000)
- Northwest Dynamics Symposium, Univ. Victoria (May 2000)
- Special Session, Symbolic Dynamics, (organizer), AMS Central Sectional Meeting, Univ. Notre Dame. (Apr. 2000)
- Special Session, The Ergodic Theory and Topological Dynamics of Zd and Rd-actions, AMS National Meeting, Washington, DC. (Jan. 2000)
- Special Session, Aperiodic Tiling, AMS Central Sectional Meeting, Univ. Texas. (Oct. 1999)
- Special Session, Graph Theory, AMS Western Section Meeting, Univ. Nevada, Las Vegas. (Apr. 1999)
- Saturday Morning Math Group, Univ. Texas. (Mar. 1999)
- Special Session, Dynamical Systems, AMS Western Sectional Meeting, Univ. Arizona. (Nov. 1998)
- Special Session, C*-algebras and Dynamics, AMS Western Sectional Meeting, Univ. California, Davis. (Apr. 1998)
- Dynamical Systems and Related Topics Workshop, Univ. Maryland. (Mar. 1998)
- Special Session, Symbolic Dynamics, AMS Southeastern Sectional Meeting, Univ. Memphis. (Mar. 1997)
- Summer School, Symbolic Dynamics and Applications, Univ. de la Frontera, Chile. (Jan. 1997)
- Dynamical Systems and Related Topics Workshop, Penn State Univ. (Oct. 1995)
- Special Session, Ergodic Theory, AMS Northeastern Sectional Meeting, Northeastern Univ. (Oct. 1995)
- Conference, Probabilistic Aspects of Single Orbit Dynamics, California State Univ., Bakersfield. (June 1995)
- Service Highlights
- Liaison, MathCounts Competitions (Fall 2014-present)
- Chair, Undergraduate Committee (Fall 2010 – Winter 2012)
- Chair, Self-Study Committee, (Spring 2008)
- Mortar Board Faculty Advisor (Spring 2015-present)
- NSM Faculty Committee (Fall 2013-present, Chair Fall 2014-present)
- First Year Seminar Committee (Fall 2011 – present)
- Undergraduate Council (Fall 2006 - Spring 2008)
- Ethics and Plagiarism Committee (Fall 2004 - Spring 2005)
Last Updated - April, 2015