Office: John Greene Hall 304
e-mail: rpavlov at du.edu
My research interests lie primarily in ergodic theory and dynamical systems, and most of my work involves multidimensional symbolic dynamics. See my research statement for more information.
First Year Seminar (Mathematics of Games) Course Homepage
Math 3080 (Probability I) Course Homepage
2013 William Lowell Putnam Exam study sessions
Math 3161 (Real Analysis) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2013
Math 4290 (Dynamical Systems) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2013
Math 3851 Course Homepage, Winter Quarter 2013
Math 1951 (Sections 3 and 7) Course Homepage, Autumn Quarter 2012
Math 3161 (Real Analysis) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2012
Math 1150 (Mathematics of Games) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2012
Math 1953 (Calculus III) Course Homepage, Autumn Quarter 2011
Math 3080 (Probability I) Course Homepage, Autumn Quarter 2011
Math 1150 (Mathematics of Games) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2011
Math 3705 (Symbolic Dynamics) Course Homepage, Spring Quarter 2011
Math 1951 (Sections 5 and 7) Course Homepage, Autumn Quarter 2010
1. Emptiness and entropy for random Z^d SFTs (with Kevin McGoff), in preparation.
2. On factors of Z^d SFTs and intrinsic ergodicity (with Kevin McGoff), in preparation.
3. Extender sets and multidimensional subshifts, (with Nic Ormes), submitted.
4. An integral representation for topological pressure in terms of conditional probabilities, (with Brian Marcus), submitted.
5. Entropy and measures of maximal entropy for axial powers of subshifts (with Tom Meyerovitch), submitted.
6. Entropies realizable by block gluing shifts of finite type, (with Michael Schraudner), J. Anal. Math., to appear.
7. Projectional subdynamics of Z^d shifts of finite type (with Michael Schraudner), Trans. Amer. Math. Soc., to appear.
8. A characterization of topologically completely positive entropy for shifts of finite type, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems, to appear.
9. Shifts of finite type with nearly full entropy, Proc. Lond. Math. Soc., to appear.
10. One dimensional Markov random fields, Markov chains and topological Markov fields (with N. Chandgottia, G. Han, B. Marcus, and T. Meyerovitch), Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., to appear.
11. Computing bounds for entropy of stationary Z^d Markov random fields (with Brian Marcus), SIAM J. Discrete Math, 27 (2013), no. 3, 1544-1558.
12. Independence entropy of Z^d-shift spaces (with Erez Louidor and Brian Marcus), Acta. Appl. Math., 126 (2013), 297-317.
13. Approximating entropy for a class of Z^2 Markov random fields and pressure for a class of functions on Z^2 shifts of finite type (with Brian Marcus), Ergod. Theory Dynam. Sys., 33 (2013), no. 1, 186–220.
14. A class of nonsofic multidimensional shift spaces, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 141 (2013), no. 3, 987-996.
15. Approximating the hard square entropy constant with probabilistic methods, Ann. Probab. 40 (2012), no. 6, 2362-2399.
16. Perturbations of multidimensional shifts of finite type, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 31 (2011), no. 2, 483-526.
17. Multidimensional sofic shifts without separation and their factors (with Mike Boyle and Michael Schraudner), Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 362 (2010), 4617-4653.
18. Some counterexamples in topological dynamics, Ergodic Theory Dynam. Systems 28 (2008), no. 4, 1291-1322.
19. Some results on recurrence and entropy (Ph.D. thesis)
DU Math Department
Jasmine and Ronnie's Wedding Page
My wife Jasmine's website